Sunday, May 5, 2013

Decorating Gingerbread Houses

December 14th 2012

Since Makenna and Kason are both allergic to eggs we rarely get to do fun things like go to breakfast at IHOP, decorate Easter eggs or decorate gingerbread houses.  But this year (well last year at Christmas) we were invited to a neighbor's house to decorate gingerbread houses with them.  I really wanted to go so I rationalized in my head that if the kids just put candy (that didn't contain eggs) on frosting that touched the gingerbread (that contained eggs) then they would be fine.  So we went and started decorating.  It was so much fun!  We were out enjoying company and doing something that I'd always wanted to do with the kids.  Then Kason started whining.  And crying.  And saying he wanted to go home and lay on the couch cuz he didn't feel good.  So we started packing up to go.  We were going to go see the lights at Thanksgiving Point but as we made it to the car we realized he had been rubbing his eyes.  They were all red and swollen and his hands and face where breaking out in a rash.  He and I were both in tears.  We rushed him home, gave him some benadryl and a bath and sat on the couch.  I couldn't believe I had selfishly taken him to do something I knew we shouldn't have done.  I totally put him in danger with the eggs and I knowingly did it anyways.  I felt awful.  It was all my fault and it could have been prevented but I thought they'd be fine but they weren't.  Luckily it wasn't as severe as it could have been and it was definitely a reminder that we need to be careful.  Even if it means making certain sacrifices.  My kids are worth all the sacrifices in the world.

I did get some pics of the kids while they were decorating before Kason got sick.  And they were all having so much fun. 




You can even see in the middle picture that Kason has his hands in his mouth!  I should have known better!  And you better believe that I learned my lesson!

2 comments:

  1. We make chocolate houses every year- there are chocolate molds you can get that are the pieces of a little house and you decorate it with candy the same as gingerbread you just use melted chocolate to stick it on. I can't remember if your kids have more than egg allergies but hopefully you guys could try chocolate houses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! Thanks so much! I will have to look for them. Can I buy them any season? And are they just at a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Joann's? Oh and how do you stick the pieces of the house together? Frosting or more chocolate?

      Delete